In our previous tutorial, we have explained how you can check when and who logged into your Windows computer using the Windows event viewer. In this tutorial, we are going to explain how you can set up email notifications for windows login activity i.e., you can get email notifications whenever someone logs into your Windows computer.
Using this tutorial, you will be able to monitor the login activity of a highly classified computer at your work place or at home. Since Windows task scheduler will be used for this process, there is no way that someone can access your computer without you getting email notifications about the login activity.
Get Email Notifications When Someone Logs Into Your Windows Computer:
1) To get started, download SendMail zip package and extract it to a folder in your computer.
2) Next, open Task Schedule by following this path: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler. Now in the Task Scheduler window, click on “Create Task“.
3) Once you click on “Create Task“, a new window will open up. Now, enter “Email On Login” in the name column and “Sends me an email when someone logs into Windows” in the description column. Also, select “Run whether user is logged on or not“.
4) Next, go to the “Triggers” tab and click on “New” to create a new trigger. In the “New Trigger” window, select “At Log On” in the drop down menu next to “Begin the Task” option. Also, select “Any User” under settings.
5) Now, go to the “Actions” tab and click on “New” button. In the “New Action” window, select “Start a program” as action and select the “SendMail.exe” program under “Program/Script” option by using the “Browse” button. Next, enter the following argument under “Add Arguments“:
-f firstname.lastname@example.org -t email@example.com -u Someone Logged Into Your Computer -m Someone just logged into your computer! -s smtp.gmail.com:587 -xu firstname.lastname@example.org -xp password -o tls=yes
(Replace email@example.com with a common email address from where the notification will be sent. Also, replace firstname.lastname@example.org with your email address where you would like to get email notifications when someone logs into your computer).
Note: The argument has been provided by howtogeek.com.
6) Now, go the “Conditions” tab and uncheck the option “Start the task only if the computer is on AC power” or else, you won’t get email notifications when your Laptop is unplugged from the power source.
7) Next, click “Ok” and save the task.
That’s it. Now you will get email notifications whenever someone logs into your Windows computer. This method is one of the best ways to monitor windows login activity.
If you encounter any issues while following this tutorial, do let me know via comments.