When most people starts a blog for the first time, they tend to go with Blogger.com as it is the best free blogging platform available in the web. But over time, they will understand that having a blog hosted on blogger without a custom domain name will not help them at all. When you have a custom domain name for your blog, you will add uniqueness to your blog which in turn helps in branding as well as getting the attention of a lot of people on the web.
So, if you have decided to set up custom domain for your blogger but have no idea how to do it, then you are at the right place. Here, I have given simple step by step tutorial to set up custom domain in blogger blog. For this tutorial, I have used GoDaddy.com as my domain registrar. You can follow this tutorial for other domain registrants without any errors, since the steps involved remains the same.
Tutorial To Set Up Custom Domain In Blogger Blog:
1) Before you proceed to the custom domain setup, go to GoDaddy.com and book a domain for your blog. You can choose the domain name based on the theme of your blog, or you can use your own, etc.
2) Once you have booked a domain name, go to blogger.com, click on the blog name on which you would like to add the custom domain and click on Settings.
3) In the settings page, click on “Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog” in the Blog Address.
4) Now, you will see “Third Party Domain Settings“. In the given options, enter your custom domain name in the first box and click on “Save” without changing the option on “Use a missing files host“. While entering the custom domain name make sure that you use “www” before the domain name. For example, if your domain name is “myname.com“, enter “www.myname.com“.
5) Once done, you will see a warning message “We have not been able to verify your authority to this domain. Error 12“. You will also see also two host names and their Target URLs.
6) Next, go to GoDaddy.com, login with your Username and password and go to the Domain manager. Once done, click on your Domain name and go to its “DNS Zone File“. Now, click on “Add Record“, select “CNAME (Alias)” as “Record Type” and enter the first Host Name (www) in Step 5 under the “Host” box and first target URL (ghs.google.com) under the “Points To” box. Don’t change the “TTL” and click on “Finish“.
7) Once done, follow the same procedure and add the second host name and second target URL. Now, go back to the “Third Party Domain Settings” in blogger Settings and click on “Save“.
8) If you have followed all the steps properly, your blogger blog will redirect to the custom domain successfully. If you get any errors, then you will have to redo the steps again.
9) Now, you will need to redirect the “non-www” version of your blogger custom domain to the “www” version. For that, go to “Basic Settings” in blogger and click on “Edit” in your Blog Address.
10) Next, in the third-party domain settings, tick the box next to “Redirect myname.com to www.myname.com” and click “Save“.
11) Most of the times, this will do the trick. But if this doesn’t work, then you will have to add the following Google IPs as A Records in your Domain registrar, which will be GoDaddy in my case.
12) To do that, go to “DNS Zone File” in GoDaddy domain’s manager, click on “Add Record“, select “A (Host)” as Record Type, enter “@” as Host, enter the first Google IP in the Points To box and click on “Finish” without changing the “TTL“.
13) Now, follow the same procedure and add the remaining Google IPs as A Records. After few hours, your custom domain’s non-www version will redirect to the www version successfully.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished setting up custom domain in blogger blog.
If you encounter any issues, or if face any challenges while following this tutorial, do let me know via comments.