Are you running out of space in your “C” Drive where you have installed the Windows operating system? Would you like to know how to increase the partition space of “C” drive or any drive which is serving as the primary partition? Well, then you are in the right place.
Here, I am gonna teach you the process of increasing the primary partition space without formatting your entire Hard disk. Just follow the steps given here carefully.
NOTE: I have created this tutorial using my Windows machine which is running on Windows 7 operating system. If you are using Windows 8 or Windows Vista or any other Windows OS, you can follow the same tutorial given here for increasing partition space.
Increase “C” Drive Partition Space Without Formatting
1) To get started, go to your Control Panel and click on “Administrative Tools“.
2) A new window will open up, showing shortcuts for a lot of applications (just like the screenshot given below).
3) Now, click on “Computer Management” option and a new Window will open up showing three main options: System Tools, Storage, and Services and Applications.
4) Next, click on the “Disk Management” option in “Storage“. Now you will see all the Partition of your Windows machine.
5) As you can see from the screenshot above, “C” drive is the primary partition. So, to increase its space, you have to Shrink the volume size of the next available partition. You can do that by right clicking on the partition in the Disk Management window and select “Shrink Volume“.
6) Based on your requirement, you can choose the amount of space to shrink.
7) Once you have done that, click on “Shrink” and the space will be shrinked, which will be available as “Unallocated Space“.
8) Now, select the partition for which you would like to increase the space and choose the “Extend Volume” option (you will get this option by right clicking on mouse). You will see the “Extend Volume Wizard“. Just follow the on-screen instructions and you will be able to finish the process without any errors.
9) Once done, you will see the “Unallocated Space” adding to the primary partition space.
That’s it. Now you have successfully increased the partition space of “C” drive or primary partition without using the applications available in Windows Operating system. If you encounter any issues while following this tutorial, drop a comment below and I will get back to you with a solution within 24-48 hours.