WordPress is the most popular content management system (CMS) in the world. With more than 20% of the websites using WordPress, it is a no-brainer to use WordPress platform for your new blog or website. But if you have idea how to install WordPress on your hosting account then don’t fret. Here I have given a simple tutorial to install WordPress using cPanel of your hosting account.
This method will work on hosting accounts of all Linux web hosting providers. Also you will need to have cPanel access to install WordPress using this method. So get your website’s cPanel details before following this tutorial.
Steps To Install WordPress Using cPanel:
There are two ways to install WordPress using cPanel and I have explained both of them here.
This method will work only if your hosting company offers “Fantastico” autoinstaller in cPanel.
1) To get started, enter the following URL in your browser’s address bar: yourdomain.com:2082 (yourdomain.com is your domani name) to access your website’s cPanel. Now enter your cPanel’s username and password, and click on “Log In“.
2) Once you logged into cPanel, search for “Fantastico De Luxe” and click on it (usually you will find it under “Software“).
3) Now click on “WordPress” under the list of website software’s provided in cPanel.
4) Once done, click on “New Installation“. Now enter the domain (where you want to install WordPress), directory (if you wish to install WordPress in a sub-directory rather than the homepage), administrator details and base configuration. Once done click on “Install WordPress“.
5) That’s it. WordPress will be installed successfully in your hosting account. Make sure that you have noted down the login details for your WordPress blog before finishing the installation process.
Let’s find out the tutorial to install WordPress manually using cPanel.
1) To get started, download latest version of WordPress by visiting WordPress.org and extract it to a folder in your computer.
2) Next, log into your cPanel account using your username and password.
3) Once logged in, click on “MySQL Databases” under “Databases“.
4) Now create new database and SQL user. Once done, add the newly created user to database.
5) Once done, go to the folder where you have extracted the WordPress zip file and rename “wp-config-sample.php” to “wp-config.php“.
6) Next, open up “wp-config.php“, add the newly created database name next to “DB_NAME“, newly create username and password next to “DB_USER” and “DB_PASSWORD” respectively and save the file.
7) Next, go to cPanel and click on “File Manager“.
8) In the “File Manager” window, click on “public_html“, choose “Upload” and select all the files from Step 1.
9) Once all the files are uploaded, enter the following URL in your browser’s address bar: http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin/install.php (change yourdomain.com to your website domain name). Now you will see the WordPress installation wizard. Choose you language in the first page and click on “Continue“.
10) In the next page, enter your “Site Title“, “WordPress Username“, “WordPress password“, “Your Email Address” and click on “Install WordPress“.
That’s it. Now you have successfully installed WordPress on your hosting server using cPanel.
If you encounter any issues while following any of the two tutorial given in this page, do let me know via comments.